As per Ayurveda science, more than half your immunity is driven by the process of digestion and the right type of foods can ensure that your digestion and immunity are on course for a healthy living.
Ayurveda believes that there are three types of immunity:
1. Sahaj (hereditary), or immunity you’re born with.
2. Kalaj (seasonal), or immunity that comes and goes with seasons/age/time.
3. Yuktikrit (established), or immunity you can develop with a regular and balanced diet, and systemic practice of yoga. It is the third type of immunity we want to bolster during the winters, which you can easily do by adopting an Ayurvedic lifestyle. Here’s our guide to eating healthy and staying strong this winter season.
1. Keep the fire in your stomach burning: More than half your immunity is driven by the process of digestion. Ayurveda equates digestive strength with a “fire” (known as ‘agni’ in Sanskrit) in the stomach. Because we tend to become fairly lethargic during winters, this agni may lose some of its potency. That’s why it’s important to include generous amounts of natural oils, desi ghee, and butter in your diet to keep this flame alive.
2. Boil your food: Boiled food is one of the best options for winter. Soups, stews and broths made of winter foods like Carrots, beets, green leafy vegetables as well as other root-based vegetables are extremely beneficial and can be also had steamed or otherwise. Foods we eat in the winter season should always be warm. Try to avoid pre-cooked or packaged meals and choose freshly cooked seasonal vegetables and fruits for your winter diet.
3. Go Nuts: Dry-fruits are a must for the winters. Cashews, pista, dates, almonds, walnuts – you name it, you eat it! Not only do they help generate heat within the body, they also give you the energy needed to fight winter laziness.
Winters are about indulging in your favourite foods, and if you do wish to eat, why not go in for healthy food that will do your body a world of good? That way, you have the best of both worlds, don’t you? Itoozhi Ayurveda is a leading Ayurvedic hospital in Kerala, and has various therapeutic packages for body and mind.