Just as balancing your Doshas ensures you enjoy a healthy summer, the same applies to the other seasons as well. During monsoons, doshas could accumulate and aggravate to make life unhealthy for you. Ayurveda prescribes a certain lifestyle comprising of diet, exercise and way of living. This lifestyle protects you from the ill effects of monsoon and helps you lead a healthy life.
The following is a pattern of aggravation and accumulation of doshas during monsoon season and their impact on the body:
Vata: Accumulates during the dry or dehydrating heat of the summer. Post summer, it becomes aggravated during the monsoon season. This aggravation can lead to weakened digestion, acidic atmospheric conditions and flatulence.
Pitta: Rainy season makes the atmosphere more acidic, which could lead to accumulation of Pitta. It aggravates during autumn when the heat returns. This occurs after the cooling spell of the rainy season.
Ayurveda attributes the aggravation (vitiation) of Vata and accumulation of Pita during this season as a major cause of various diseases. Hence, the food and lifestyle should be such which helps in balancing Vata and Pitta.
Diet that can help you during Monsoon:
- Consume light and fresh foods, especially made of barley, rice and wheat.
- Consume ghee.
- Have a small piece of ginger and rock salt before your meal.
- Have soups, especially of vegetables.
- When drinking water, mix with a bit of honey.
- Have warm foods, especially in cooked form.
- Avoid foods like red meat which may take longer to digest.
- Have buttermilk instead of curds.
Life style during monsoon: Consumption of healthy diet is beneficial only when accompanied by a healthy lifestyle. During the monsoon season, the following tips can ensure a healthy and happy life.
- Avoid sleeping during the day.
- Avoid over exposure to sun.
- Keep your surroundings clean, not letting any water to accumulate.
- Keep body warm.
- Ensure you follow a regular exercise regimen. Yoga is very beneficial.
- Ayurvedic Panchakarma and sukha chikitsa are also very useful.
- Immunity boosting therapies can be beneficial during the monsoon.
- Keep feet dry.
Itoozhi Ayurveda is a leading traditional Ayurvedic Hospital in Kerala and Bengaluru. We specialize in lifestyle diseases, Ayurvedic Eye Treatment and even have a dedicated Ayurveda ENT Specialist to take care of your ENT ailments.