Dry Eye, a condition in which natural tears fail to adequately lubricate the eyes, is slowly becoming the new epidemic that the world has to wake up to. It is a serious disruptor of your daily life, as it can slow your reading rate and significantly disrupt day to day tasks that require visual concentration for long periods of time. Dry eye can impact a person’s quality of life by inducing burning, irritation and blurred vision.
Symptoms of Dry Eye, which usually affect both eyes, may include:
- Blurred vision or eye fatigue
- Sensitivity to light
- A sensation of having something in your eyes
- Eye redness
- A stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes
- Watery eyes, which is the body’s response to the irritation of dry eyes
The Eye’s inability to lubricate itself naturally may be due to either one or many of the following reasons:
a) Decreased tear production which could be caused due to aging, certain medical conditions, including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, thyroid disorders or vitamin A deficiency, certain medications, after effects of laser eye surgery or even tear gland damage from inflammation or radiation
b) Increased tear evaporation which could be due to wind, smoke or dry air, blinking less often, or eyelid problems.
c) Imbalance in tear composition
Ayurveda has a systematic way to understand the root cause and prescribe the right form of therapy.
Looking for a comprehensive Ayurveda Eye Checkup & Treatment ? Get in Touch.
Dry Eye treatment in Ayurveda is done at two levels depending upon the clinical stage.
- In the early stage, patients are given oral ayurvedic medicines and eye drops to remove the symptoms of dry eyes. These medicines are given for about 4-6 months and gradually the normal tear secretion starts.
- In the advanced stage of the treatment process, Panchakarma therapies and specialized eye therapies are used for the deep cleansing of the body. The medicines improve the quality and quantity of tears. The major procedures used are Virechana, Nasya, Nethradhara, Shirodhara, Lepa and Tharpana.
Getting to the right Ayurvedic Hospital is critical in the treatment of Dry Eye. Itoozhi Ayurveda, a leading Ayurvedic Hospital in Kannur, in close proximity to KIAL, is known for Eye Therapies. Our Ayurveda Hospital has a dedicated Eye Treatment department, which specializes in critical eye treatments.