With all children having gone through more than normal screen time in the past year due to the pandemic induced online learning, Dry eyes in children is looming dangerously on the well being of our children. Pediatric Dry eye syndrome is not very common; however this condition cannot be ruled out either. If your child is complaining of itchy eyes, frequent blinking, eye rubbing, tendency to shy away from light or general ocular redness, all of these symptoms suggest dry eye in kids. As with any type of dry eye, it is important to investigate and understand the etiology of a patient’s dry eye in order to effectively treat the condition.
In Ayurveda, dry eye syndrome is termed as “Shushkakshipaka” that is characterized by excessive dryness or “Rukshata” and triggered by aggravated Vata and Pitta doshas.
A few home remedies that can help you to reduce the severity of Dry Eyes are as below:
- Draksha: Draksha or grapes are bestowed with cooling properties, as well as anthocyanin antioxidants, that mitigate irritation in the eyes and bestow moisture. Applying a paste of Draksha with sugar on the eyelids and around the edges of eyes is beneficial in remedying dry eyes.
- Ghrita: Ghrita, which is pure ghee derived from cow’s milk, is packed with valuable fatty acids and is hence a wonderful natural solution for healing dry eye syndrome. Dabbing on some ghee around the corners of eyelashes and eyelids and keeping it on for a few minutes rectifies dryness in the visual organs.
- Gotu Kola: Gotu Kola is a powerful herb that functions as a panacea for several health anomalies, including dry eyes. Preparing a dry powder from Gotu kola leaves and delivering it via nostrils i.e. Nasya therapy, cleanses the passages to the eyes and helps revive tear secretion, mending dry eyes.
- Triphala: The ever dependant Ayurvedic combination of three herbs – amla, bibhitaki and haritaki, Triphala is a potent ayurvedic formulation that is laden with phytonutrients and advantageous antioxidants. Washing the eyes with Triphala solution diluted in clean cold water helps pacify itching sensation in eyes and combats dry eye syndrome.
- Chandana: Sandalwood or Chandana is a proven ayurvedic solution not only for healthy skin but also for effectively treating dry eyes. Mixing some sandalwood powder in castor oil and applying a thin layer around the eyelids mollifies irritation and remedies dry eyes.
Though these home remedies may help you mitigate the Dry eyes to a certain extent, it is advised to consult an Ayurvedic Physician before you start any treatment, especially of the eyes, as any minor lapses can have a permanent impact on eyesight of the child. Itoozhi Ayurveda is a pioneer in Eye Treatments and conducts regular clinics to assess eye health and prescribe treatment.