Ayurveda is 5000 years old and one of the safest ways to keep yourself healthy. It is organic, does not have any shortcuts and has a holistic way to treat ailments. An important aspect of Ayurveda is bringing the body back to balance. When the body is in its balanced state, we are less susceptible to illnesses and an accumulation of toxins. So what are toxins in Ayurveda?
Ayurvedic texts have used the word “visha”, which means poison, to describe the word toxins. Detoxifying oneself is one of the primary steps to lose unwanted weight. There are three types of Toxins:
Ama: This is the waste product of undigested food. It is formed in the digestive tract when one does not eat according to the season or before the previous meal is digested or one consumes processed, old or refrigerated food, among other reasons.
Amavisha: This occurs when the ama from the previous stage is not cleared from the digestive tract. It then circulates and mixes with the tissues and becomes part of your physiology. It ferments in the body, causing acidity. This is when the body begins to react by showing signs of inflammation and disease.
Garavisha: Environmental toxins that come from chemical fertilizers, pesticides, preservatives in food, cleaning agents, insect bites.
There are a number of ways to cleanse the system of toxins, and promote health and longevity:
• Routine is an important aspect of detox. Routine helps maintaining hygiene, strengthen the five senses and promote the health of the body and mind.
• Fasting: This gives the digestive system a break to get rid of toxins. It is great for weight loss, cellular detoxification, and improving metabolic function.
• Drink fresh ginger tea: This has a strong cleansing and weight loss effect. It also helps boost the body’s metabolism and flushes out toxic waste.
• Triphala: This Ayurvedic herbal mixture is one of the most important components of weight loss. It is an antioxidant, balances the body and mind and is used to treat a number of illnesses.
• Meditation: This is an important practice to include in your daily routine. Meditation helps calm the mind. Research has shown the numerous benefits of this simple practice.