As the pandemic struck and all of us got stuck indoors, one concept that really took over our lives was the ‘Work from Home’ concept. A very convenient arrangement it seemed when it started, slowly but gradually, it started showing its terrible side effects as well. Health issues like obesity, indigestion, bloating and constipation started appearing more frequently than before, but a major problem that was being faced by one and all working from home was back pain. Ayurveda advices everyone to lead an active and healthy life with adequate exercise and a balanced diet. However, working from home has literally put a brake on regular activity like going to work as well as a balanced diet, which is one of the main causes of back pain. Back pain, especially lower back pain is a result of wrong sitting positions as well as an increase in Vata Dosha. Back pain remedies in Ayurveda includes simple tips that can help you alleviate lower back pain at home, before you find specialist Ayurvedic assistance.
- Stay warm & eat warm foods: One of the main qualities of vata dosha is that it’s cold. Staying warm helps to reduce Vata dosha in the body, which reduces pain. Cutting down on intake of cold foods & drinks, and increasing consumption of warm liquids and foods helps the stool-carrying channels in the body (called srotas) to stay open so that we can optimally eliminate our food. Healthy elimination of stool equals less pain.
- Reduce intake of pungent spices: Pungent spices like chilies can have a very drying effect on the body. Because dryness is another one of the main qualities of vata dosha, it gets increased with drying substances, and this can lead to constipation, as well as lower back pain due to stasis of the stools.
- Practice Yoga & Pranayama: Yoga advises some excellent exercises that can reduce and help you manage your lower back pain very effectively. A trained yoga practitioner can help you find the right yoga exercises based on your exact pain points. Pranayama, at the same time, helps balance vata dosha, which helps in reduction of lower back pain.
- Oil your body: Oiling your body with warm Ayurvedic massage oils, can help smoothen your skin, ward off aging & reduce lower back pain.
- Home remedies: A few simple home remedies that can help you manage your lower back pain for a short time include sleeping in the night without a pillow under your head as well as taking frequent breaks during work and avoiding sitting in the same position for more than two hours.
When it comes to back pain remedies in Ayurveda, Itoozhi Ayurveda, with a legacy of more than 100 years, specializes in treatment of Lifestyle diseases as well as spinal disorders. Apart from treatments, Itoozhi Ayurveda also focuses on regenerative medicine and rejuvenation therapy. With a panel of experts, Itoozhi Ayurveda is one of the leading Ayurveda hospitals in Kerala and is the right place for you to come for treatment of any type of ailments.